NEW: Get More Vits Multivitamin Squash
We are super excited to announce the launch of our brand-new Multivitamin Squash here at Get More Vits, available in store at Tesco and Asda. Our squash comes in Orange, Mango & Passionfruit, Apple & Blackcurrant and Summer Fruits flavours and if you can’t decide which to choose, don’t worry because each one contains 8 essential vitamins: vitamin D, vitamin C, and B vits B1, B3, B5, B6, B7 and B12, with one glass containing 50% of your recommended daily dose.
They’re made with 20% real fruit juice, and just like all our delicious drinks, they are low in calories and contain no added sugar. Here’s the lowdown on the key vitamins in our squash.
- Essential for Bone Health: Vitamin D plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy bones. It helps regulate calcium and phosphorus absorption from the intestine, which is necessary for the development and maintenance of strong bones. A deficiency in vitamin D can lead to conditions like rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults, which result in weakened bones and increased risk of fractures.
- Sunshine Vitamin: Vitamin D is often referred to as the ‘sunshine vitamin’ because it is produced in our skin when exposed to sunlight. Specifically, ultraviolet B (UVB) rays convert a cholesterol derivative in the skin into a precursor form of vitamin D, which is then further metabolised in the liver and kidneys to its active form. It's important to strike a balance as excessive sun exposure can increase the risk of skin cancer, so it's advisable to get vitamin D from a combination of sunlight, food sources, and supplements.
- Other Health Benefits: Vitamin D helps to reduce the risk of certain autoimmune diseases, supports muscle strength, and ongoing research suggests vitamin D has an important role in preventing cardiovascular disease, cancer, and mental health disorders.
- Powerful Antioxidant: Antioxidants protect the body against ‘free radicals’, which are molecules that can damage cells and contribute to the development of chronic disease. Vitamin C neutralises free radicals and helps regenerate other antioxidants in the body, such as vitamin E. Its antioxidant properties also make it important for collagen synthesis, wound healing, and maintaining healthy skin.
- Essential for Immune Function: Vitamin C enhances immune cell functions -promoting the production and activity of white blood cells, which are crucial for fighting off infections, aiding the production of antibodies and strengthening the skin's barrier against pathogens.
- Collagen Production and Tissue Repair: Vitamin C is necessary for the synthesis of collagen, a protein found in connective tissues, skin, bones, and blood vessels. Collagen provides structure and strength to these tissues, promoting wound healing, healthy gums, and overall tissue repair. Vitamin C deficiency can lead to scurvy, a condition characterised by weak blood vessels, poor wound healing, and fatigue.
- B Vitamins Work Together: B vits are water-soluble and often found in the same food sources. The B vitamin group includes thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), biotin (B7), folate (B9), and cobalamin (B12). Each B vitamin has unique functions in the body, involved in energy production, metabolism, and maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- Energy Production and Metabolism: B vitamins are essential for converting the food we eat into energy, helping to break down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), and biotin (B7) are particularly involved in energy metabolism, supporting the efficient utilisation of nutrients.
- Important for Nervous System Health: B vitamins are crucial for maintaining a healthy nervous system. They support the production and functioning of neurotransmitters, which are chemical messengers that transmit signals between nerve cells. Adequate levels of B vitamins, especially vitamin B6, B9 (folate), and B12, are necessary for proper nerve function, mood regulation, and cognitive health.